Wedding Hair & Skin Prep for Winter Brides
Christmas Day is one of the most popular times of the year for ‘the big question’ to get popped, so if you’re one of the lucky ladies preparing to say your I Dos in 2018 you’re probably going to be facing the new year wondering where on earth to start with your wedding preparations…
There’s going to be plenty to keep you busy during your wedding planning from finding that dream wedding dress to booking your hair and makeup trial run (and everything else inbetween!), but in amongst all of this it’s also important to remember to take some time for yourself, stay calm amidst the excitement and start to take care of your hair and skin at a whole new level so that you look and feel your very best on your wedding day.
A great hair and makeup artist can of course be quite transformative in the work they do, but you’ll always feel more confident and comfortable if you’ve invested a bit of ‘me time’ into pampering yourself in advance. The best things you can do for your hair and skin change throughout the year, depending on the weather and what you are faced with on a daily basis, so whatever time of year you’re planning on getting married – whether you’re a summer bride or a winter wonderland bride – I’ve got you covered with some top tips on what you can do to get your hair and skin in the best shape possible.
To get you started, today’s blog is focusing on what you can do to promote gorgeous hair and skin during these cold winter months and this should be adhered to for brides right up until April, when we start to see the back of this dreary weather…
Tips for Beautiful Hair & Skin at Your Winter Wedding
The winter months are often the most drying for hair and skin, thanks to the blasts of hot central heating and cold air and the chill leading many of us to stop drinking as much water as perhaps we should be.
Because of this, hydration is key to keeping your hair lustrous and your skin soft, smooth and supple – the perfect base for making the most of makeup.
- Treat yourself to an over-night hair oil treatment once or twice a week on the run up to your wedding for locks that are super shiny and frizz-free. Spend at least 10 minutes applying the oil of your choice with a luxurious scalp massage to really stimulate the blood flow to your scalp for optimal hair growth and balanced sebum production.
- Your skin is going to be pretty thirsty too, so whatever you do – don’t skip the moisturiser! A weekly intense hydration mask will help to reduce fine lines and wrinkles that are exacerbated by dehydration and leave you with plump, youthful, healthy skin.
- Avoid really hot showers. It can be tempting to crank up the heat when you’re showering on a cold day, but that hot water is as damaging to your hair as heat styling and it will also strip your scalp of much-needed moisture which can lead to a flaky appearance, so keep it cool whenever possible.
- If you suffer from frizzy, flyaway hair, a silk turban for sleeping in might be what you need. You’ve got that ring on your finger so your other half can’t leave you now, even if you do look a bit mad at bedtime! Despite the funky appearance, it’s totally worth it. Wrapping your hair in silk helps to retain moisture in each strand as well as depositing some of that luxurious silk, whilst also avoiding excess static-causing friction as you sleep. Check out SILKE London for some ready to wear turbans that actually look pretty glam…
- Dry skin isn’t as good as hydrated skin at shedding dead skin cells, so exfoliation during winter months in preparation for your wedding day is a must! Buy yourself a lovely exfoliator and add this important step into your skincare routine each night before bed. Gently does it! You don’t need to scrub (this will do more harm than good!) just light, circular motions will do the trick. Exfoliate before you go to bed so that your skin doesn’t have to content with UV rays afterwards and slather on that moisturiser when you’re done.